Health IT groups
New Zealand Telehealth Forum
The New Zealand Telehealth Forum has been established to promote the use of telehealth, and maximise the benefits of the Government's broadband programme.
The National Health IT Board has funded the establishment of the Forum because it recognises telehealth is an important component of an integrated model of health care. See Terms of Reference.
Telehealth is the term for the use of information and communication technologies to deliver health care when patients and care providers are not in the same physical location. To be effective, telehealth relies on fast broadband internet services.
Telehealth enables health professionals to diagnose illnesses and provide treatment without being in the room with the patient. Health care-related education, research and evaluation can also take place remotely.
Telehealth has many benefits including:
- people can be seen by their health professional and care team without having to leave the area in which they live
- people can better monitor and manage their health
- lower health care costs
- more flexibility for the health workforce.
In this section
- Terms of reference for the New Zealand Telehealth Forum. – Read more
- How to contact the Telehealth Forum Secretariat. – Read more
- Find out about the role of the Telehealth Leadership Group, and who the members are. – Read more
- This page includes links to useful telehealth resources. Telehealth organisations, case studies, reports and trials will be regularly updated and posted in this area. – Read more